Astellas Pharma US, Inc. is committed to providing its patients, customers, and other community members with a bright future by changing tomorrow; but its commitment to bettering the world goes well beyond the services provided during a typical work day.
Instead, the organization believes that giving back is essential; and employees complete corporate social responsibility programs regularly.
This included an all-team event at a recent sales conference in Anaheim, California. Before the event the CSR Team set several lofty goals:
- All employees had to work together as teams. In fact, the program leaders challenged the 1,400 employees to work with those that they hadn’t worked with in the past.
- They wanted to assist as many nonprofits as possible — in the most meaningful, impactful way possible — in a relatively short period of time. Splitting the group up, however, was not an option. Even if it had been, moving individuals offsite would be nearly impossible given the time frame.
- Finally, space was limited. It would be nearly impossible to move such a large group to various stations to volunteer on behalf of different organizations.
The Give2Get team, however, was not deterred. To accomplish these goals, Give2Get worked with five nonprofit partners including the Audubon Society; Mercy House, which provides housing and comprehensive supportive services for homeless individuals including families, adults, mothers and their children, persons living with HIV/AIDS, individuals overcoming substance addictions, and those who are physically and mentally disabled; Special Olympics of Southern California; UCLA Arts & Healing, which transforms lives through creative expression by integrating the innate benefits of the arts with mental health practices for self-discovery, connection, and empowerment; and Venice Community Housing, which has been developing lasting, neighborhood-based solutions for low-income families and individuals for over 28 years.
Each organization described specific needs that the volunteers could help fill without ever leaving the conference center. To make the best use of limited space, the Give2Get team packed supplies needed for each project in a large box, which was placed on the employee volunteers’ tables before they arrived.
Inside, they found the items needed to build nesting boxes for birds and bats, make no-sew blankets for the homeless, assemble swag bags for Special Olympians, design banners for Special Olympic teams, create canvases for individuals in art therapy, and plant flowers for and write letters to seniors.
In total, the Astellas employee volunteers donated the following:
- 106 bluebird nesting boxes
- 105 barn owl nesting boxes
- 105 bat nesting boxes
- 116 no-sew fleece blankets
- 1,115 swag bags
- 116 banners
- 312 stretched and primed canvases
- 548 potted succulents
- 1000+ letters to seniors
These donations were given to the nonprofit partners the day after the event, making an immediate, lasting impact in the lives of the clients the nonprofits serve.